Due to the Covid-19 pandemic our format has changed. Please note:
There will not be any shared meals.
Trips will not be scheduled.
Paddling will be done in small groups.
We will not be eatting in a restaurant as a group.
Everyone stay safe and healthy and I will see you on the water.
Some participants camp on the side of the lake near the showers (Campsites 101 -121). These campsites are on Lewey Lake. Some opt to camp on the other shower side (Campsites 138-161). These campsites are either near or on the water accessible to Lewey Lake. So, it is up to you to pick a campsite. If you are interested in camping, you will need to make your own campsite reservations through Reserve America Online. When you reserve a site, PLEASE post on the message board the number of the site that you will be on. We may be spread out, so it would be helpful to know where people are.
- Friday Paddle: If you are not camping with us and wish to paddle with the club, please be at the campground by 10 AM. The paddle location will be posted as we get closer to the weekend.
- Friday Dinner: Some people will meet to go out to dinner on Friday and others will opt to eat at the campground.
- Saturday Group Breakfast: Breakfast will be on a volunteer’s site. Please post what you are bringing on the message board.
- Saturday Group Paddle: Saturday we will leave about a half hour after breakfast cleanup. If you are not camping with us and wish to paddle with the club, please be at the campground by 10 AM. The paddle location will be posted as we get closer to the weekend.
- Saturday Group Dinner: The group dinner will be in the recreation room, if free that evening. If the weather is nice, we could also gather outside the recreation room. Stay tuned and don't forget to list your dish on the message board.
Experience Level: September can be cool and breezy. If you are going to paddle Indian Lake, you must feel comfortable on open water with 1-2 feet swells and paddling 10-12 miles. Other easier paddles may be available. Be sure that you are properly dressed for the paddle and have all appropriate equipment. A spray skirt would be helpful.
Please Note: If you plan to paddle with us on Friday or Saturday and are not camping, please let us know. Paddle locations and times could change due to unforeseen circumstances, like the unpredictable weather.
Directions: From New York State Thruway you may take the Verona (Turning Stone) Exit 33. Follow Rt 365 East until the end, then turn left on Rt 8 north. Alternately you can take the Utica exit and follow signs for Rts 8 and 12 until they split, then follow Rt 8 north to Speculator. Take a left hand turn in Speculator onto Rt 30. Campground is 12 miles north on Route 30 from Speculator on the left side of the road.
Directions for each trip are provided to help people unfamiliar with the area to find the location of the trip. They are not meant to necessarily be the most direct route from your own location.