Our first camping/kayaking weekend of the 2018 paddling season will be at Schodack Island State Park which opened in 2016. It is located13 miles south of Albany. It has kayak launcher access to the Hudson River on one side and Schodack Creek on the other. There are 8 miles of trails and it is home to a bird conservation area. Our main paddle will be on Saturday, but for those interested, we will also be paddling on Friday and Sunday. If you do not wish to camp, you are still welcome to join us for the paddle on Saturday. We will leave the campground after the community breakfast cleanup. You should be at the campground by 10 AM.
If you are interested in camping, you will need to make your own campsite reservations through Reserve America Online. Tent sites are 44-67. There are also some electric sites nearby. You are welcome to camp anywhere you want, but it's nice if we can all be in the same area. Note that this is a small campground and campsites may fill up fast.
Schedule of Events
- Friday paddle - The paddle location will be posted as we get closer to the weekend.
- Saturday Group Breakfast - To be hosted by a volunteer. Please post on the message board what you are bringing. Also be sure to post your campsite number.
- Saturday paddle - The paddle location will be posted as we get closer to the weekend.
- Saturday Group Dinner - To be hosted by a volunteer. Please post on the message board what you are bringing.
- Sunday Paddle - The paddle location will be posted as we get closer to the weekend.
- PLEASE NOTE: If you plan to paddle with us on Friday or Saturday and are not camping, please let us know. Paddle locations and times could change due to unforeseen circumstances, like the unpredictable weather.
- Directions: Take the NYS Thruway east from Syracuse to I-87 south. At exit 23 take ramp for I-787 N. At exit 3 take ramp for US-20 East /US-9 South. Take ramp on right to 9J south. Schodack Island Way is a right turn off 9J.
Please Note: Directions for each trip are provided to help people unfamiliar with the area to find the location of the trip. They are not meant to necessarily be the most direct route from your own location.
This is a new camping location so the paddling will be adventurous. We have several choices. Weather, and wind, will be a factor so we will choose a destination each day.
From the park canoe launch it is a 9.7 mile paddle around the island to the river ramp.
We can go up the Hudson to Henry Hudson Town Park. Those who want a longer paddle could go to Albany Riverfront Park. There are islands, marinas, yacht clubs and streams to check out.
Burden Lake is approximately 9 miles in circumference. It is east of the park and has a DEC cartop launch. There is a restaurant with pizza close by, too.
Kinderhook Lake is also approximately 9 miles in circumference but irregular with a Creek on the south side. DEC launch has room for 15 cars.
There is a bikeable nature trail around the park.
We will probably pick one of these restaurants for those who want to dine out on Friday: Schodack Diner, Village Inn, Samsons, Scarnato, My Place and Co, or Carolina House. Some of us are going up a day early to check them out.
Saturday breakfast is on site 28 (Kathy and Kim). Usually around 9am.
Saturday supper is on site 55 (Deb). Usually around 6pm.
See you soon.